Friday 5 September 2014

So, yesterday was my first day at university...

It's pretty funny how we take our childhood for granted. When I was little, I spent my days wishing I was older, wishing that someone would take me seriously instead of being a little girl with her two front teeth missing. I spent my days trying to show people I was not the average child. I tried to be mature and serious, constantly telling my peers to "grow up" when they were having fun or making childish jokes, little did I know, I'd regret doing that now. 

Because of my juvenile, bogus mature attitude, I missed out on a lot. I was never overly popular, because I was always trying to portray a certain sophistication to impress my parents and teachers opposed to being a child, and trying to play and fit in. My school days consisted of reading books and ignoring my math, art, and gym teachers. My books intrigued me, while the rest of the students were running, playing, socializing, and ultimately being children. 

Nowadays, everything is so different. As I got older, I began to figure out who I was, and I didn't feel the need to portray a phony character any more. When I meet people now, I just act as myself, the plain old Cherish who loves video games, reading and who is most certainly a child at heart. 

Everyday is a new learning experience, and everyday I learn more about myself and others around me. Going to university is my new, big step in life. I'm finding out who I am going to be and who I can be, and hopefully along the way, I'll make new friends who share common interest. 

Life is what you make of it, and when I was little, I tried being someone who I was not because I wanted to impress my elders. This big journey of university will help me find people who will like me, without me feeling the need to impress them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment