Friday 3 October 2014

Review of Female Halloween Costumes

I'm an eighteen year old girl, and I absolutely adore Halloween. I love dressing up, wearing wacky make up, passing out treats to little exuberant children and seeing their faces light up. I love everything about Halloween, except for the female costumes. Every year, I go looking for a decent Halloween costume that I can wear and not feel utterly uncomfortable and almost nude in. You want to be a bumblebee? Here's a skimpy mini dress with a few black and yellow stripes which won't fully cover your derrière. Want to be a nurse? No scrubs for you, you need to be in a white skirt which doesn't come close to your knees and that has cleavage down to your belly button. You want to be a princess? No fancy ball room dress for you my friend, here's an almost see through short dress which barely resembles one of the Disney princess's. You want to be a police officer? No blue uniform if you're female; here's a tight jumpsuit made out of spandex which clings to your skin like glue! And all of it for only $50 or more!
How absurd.
As a child, I remember looking at costumes, and even questioning what some of the adult women costumes were. Is this really what we as a society expect women to dress up as for Halloween? Even comparing male to female costumes you can tell something is definitely wrong. The costumes made for males actually have pants, and I'm willing to bet that off the top of your head you cannot think of a female costume which incorporates something longer than knee length. Some people may not see the fad of sexy Halloween costumes as being a problem, but as a younger female who tends to work with children and has a lot of child experience in the work field for my age, I can completely see this as being problematic. Young females are always trying to be "grown up". As a child of even around 13, I would prefer to buy female adult costumes because I thought I'd be considered more "mature" and "grown", but a child of that age, in something so skimpy and sexual, is repulsive. Children should be encouraged to dress in clothes that first of all are appropriate for their age, and secondly, actually can be recognized as a costume. If we need to guess what an apparently obvious costume is because of the lack of clothes, then we are certainly doing something wrong. Take these costumes as an example:
Without looking at the mask, could you even begin to guess who these characters are? These well known puppets, Bert and Ernie, from the children's show Sesame Street have been gruesomely sexualized to the point where they should be considered lingerie rather than a Halloween costume. The most appalling thing about these costumes are that they're specifically from a children's show. I believe that when our society gets to the point of sexualizing children show characters for adult women costumes, there is a serious problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment